This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosures.
Apple and Stem Ginger Chutney is a sweet spicy chutney perfect with cheese.
I have been making chutneys and jams for my friends and family for Christmas presents as long as I can remember. It’s perhaps my annual ritual that I treasure the most. It signifies making the most of the autumnal farmers’ market or foraging treasures and is one of the first steps I take each year when starting to plan for the festive season.
There was a time when I rotated the chutneys I made, perhaps an apple, pear and hazelnut chutney, often a piccalilli or even a traditional dowerhouse chutney. However since I developed this particular Apple and Stem Ginger Chutney a couple of years ago there has been absolutely no looking back. It has been one of my favourite kitchen creations and now I make it every single year to pass onto my loved ones, and of course to scoff myself with a mountain of cheese.
I rather like it as it’s not one of those chunky chutneys that makes your sandwich all lumpy, or a chutney that is stuffed with little pops of sultanas making the whole affair too fruity. No, this chutney has the perfect balance of texture from the soft apples, of sweetness from the stem ginger and a warmth of spice from the root ginger, chipotle chilli powder, nutmeg and cinnamon.
This chutney is perfect on your festive cheeseboard as it goes with pretty much any cheese. It’s also incredibly addictive so don’t be surprised if you find you are balancing more chutney on your cracker instead of cheese. This recipe makes a good few jars but it’s perfect to give away as presents or to hoard yourself so you can keep your supplies well on the go until next year’s batch.
If you like this recipe then maybe you will like these ones:
If you make this Apple and Stem Ginger Chutney then please leave a comment below and/or give the recipe a rating. If you then go on to use this recipe as a launch pad for your own baking creation then I’d also love it if you’d share it and tag me on Instagram. It is so lovely for me to see your versions and variations of my recipes.
Apple and Stem Ginger Chutney
For the spice bag:
- 50 g root ginger
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1.5 kg Bramley apples - peeled, cored and diced
- 1.5 kg Cox Pippin apples - peeled, cored and diced
- 1 kg white onions - diced
- 4 balls stem ginger - about 80g, finely chopped
- 500 g soft light brown sugar
- 600 ml cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon chipotle chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Place the spice bag ingredients into a muslin bag and then put into a large preserving pan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring slowly to the boil, then simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Remove the spice bag then decant the chutney into sterilised jars.
- Keep in a cool dark place for 2-3 months before eating.