This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosures.
A beautiful summer inspired Strawberry Honey Cake.
It was an exciting moment this week when I found the first of the British strawberries in the supermarket. I love their newly prolonged season, especially since I never get bored of a strawberry. As Spring moves into Summer the taste of the strawberries evolve meaning you get a little bit of something different as the seasons progress.
These strawberries I took home this week were sweet and juicy. It was excellent forward thinking on my part that I had picked up a couple of punnets as the first one was unashamedly eaten during the prepping stages of baking this cake.
I couldn’t help but pair this cake with honey, I have been collecting local honey from all the little farm shops and farmer’s markets I have been visiting these past few months so I have quite the larder full. I chose a light clear floral honey for the cake and baked it into the batter along with some sour cream to add density and offset the sweetness. I then topped the cake in the same way, a simple buttercream which I then imbued with more of the honey and sour cream.
Strawberry Honey Cake is a perfect teatime treat, enjoyed out in the garden with the distant sound of a lawnmower buzzing in the background. Although it did lead me to contemplate what a sorry state my garden is actually in at the moment and fret over the grassless lawn and ghostly pots of long gone plants so it wasn’t the perfect idyll.
I regret not drizzling my finished cake with honey as well before I took the photos, the idea only came to me as I was tucking into the cake afterwards. The extra drizzle really lifted the strawberries and accentuated the honey so make sure you don’t forget it like me.
Strawberry Honey Cake
- 170 g unsalted butter - room temperature
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120 g honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 270 g plain flour - *for gluten-free see below
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200 g sour cream
- 150 g strawberries - hulled and chopped into quarters
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 165 g icing sugar
- 50 g honey
- 50 g sour cream
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and line and grease a 9 inch loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for a few minutes until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time until fully combined.
- Pour in the honey and mix well, then the vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add ⅓ of the flour to the rest of the cake batter, mixing well. Then follow with half the sour cream, mix it in then another ⅓ of the flour, the rest of the sour cream then the last third of the flour. Mix until the batter has just combined.
- Pour nearly all of the cake batter into the baking tin.
- Puncture the batter with the chopped strawberries in a single layer before spreading on the very last of the cake batter to cover the strawberries.
- Place in the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes. Cool the cake on a wire rack completely before icing.
- For the honey buttercream beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the honey, sour cream and a pinch of salt and mix until completely combined.
- Using a palette knife spread the buttercream thickly on top of the cake.
- Decorate with strawberries and drizzled honey.
60g sweet rice flour
45g oat flour
35g millet flour
20g potato starch
15g tapioca flour