Healthy Banana Flapjacks
You won’t be able to get enough of these Healthy Banana Flapjacks. They are the perfect choice if you are looking for a vegan, refined sugar-free and gluten-free treat. Believe me you will be baking these and serving them to your friends and family time and time again.
Servings: 16 servings
- 200 g medjool dates about 11
- 60 ml warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 170 g cashew butter
- 175 g coconut oil
- 120 g mashed banana about 1 large banana
- 1 banana sliced for decoration
- 350 g gluten-free porridge oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 170°C/ 150°C fan/ gas mark 3 and grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
To make the date caramel pit the dates then place them in a food processor along with the warm water, vanilla extract and salt. Whizz together until completely smooth. You may have to scrap the sides of the processor a few times to help the process along.
Melt the coconut oil in a medium pan over a low heat then remove from the heat and stir in the cashew butter, date caramel and mashed banana.
Pour the oats into a large mixing bowl then smother with the banana caramel mixture until it is all mixed well together.
Press the flapjack mixture into the tin so the top is even and smooth. Cut the extra banana into slices then place on the surface of the flapjack. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
Once cool, remove from the tin and cut into squares.
- For these flapjacks to be gluten-free then make sure to use gluten-free oats.
- Use porridge oats rather than jumbo rolled oats as they hold together better.
- Don’t skip the sliced banana on the top!! So good.
- Can't get to the shops for Cashew Butter? It's so easy to make, see this recipe.
- You can add chocolate chips, pumpkin or sunflower seeds or even dried fruit like chopped apricots to make them really special.
- These flapjacks freeze really well.
- Store in a cool dark place for up to 3 days (if you can possibly resist them!)
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 149mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 28IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 2mg