Homemade Brown Sauce
If you love Brown Sauce then you’ll be thrilled to discover this homemade version is even better. Made with plums for a full fruity flavour but still with its familiar spicy personality and brilliant on a bacon sandwich.
- 2 kg plums stones removed
- 500 g red onions
- 200 g medjool dates pitted
- 350 g brown sugar
- 450 g apple cider vinegar
- 50 g black treacle
- 3 teaspoons mustard powder
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan or preserving pan and cook on a medium heat for 1 hour, stirring regularly.
Pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour the blended sauce back into the cleaned pan and bring back up to boil.
The sauce should be of a thick ketchup consistency but you can cook for longer if it feels a little thin. The sauce will thicken slightly more as it cools.
Remove from the heat and decant into sterilised jars.
- This recipe makes 8 bottles of 250ml.
- You can make the brown sauce with any variety of plums.
- You can use frozen plums.
- Cut the stones out of the plums using a small paring knife. However, you can cook your whole plums with a splash of water until they reach a pulp and remove the stones once they have broken down if it is easier. Then add the plum pulp to the rest of the ingredients and begin the recipe as instructed.
- You can use a stand blender or immersion blender.
- Blend in batches to ensure ultra smooth sauce.
- To sterilise the bottles place the very clean bottles you would like to use in an oven pre-heated to 140°C for 20 minutes. Sterilise the lids by dropping them into a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes with a splash of vinegar. I don’t sterilise my lids in the oven as they tend to ruin.
- The brown sauce is good to eat straightaway but it also gets better if allowed to mature for 4 weeks in the bottles before opening. Store in a cool dark place.
- Once the brown sauce is opened, keep in the fridge and eat within a month.
Calories: 33kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 69mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 76IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg