The Best Gluten-Free Cheese Sauce
The Best Gluten-Free Cheese Sauce has a full-bodied flavour which can be used in a variety of meals from pasta sauce to cauliflower cheese and is velvety smooth thanks to the use of sweet rice flour.
Servings: 6 servings
- 550 ml whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 25 g sweet rice flour
- 100 g gruyère
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Pour the whole milk into a saucepan along with the bay leaf, white pepper, salt and nutmeg.
Heat to a very gentle boil then turn to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for at least an hour to infuse.
Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the sweet rice flour. Mix together until a smooth roux has formed.
Remove the bay leaf from the milk then pour gradually into the roux. Whisk all the while until all the milk has been incorporated. The sauce will begin to bubble and thicken.
Add the cheese and the mustard and stir in until melted.
Remove from the heat and use however you wish.
- Cutting Corners: If you don’t have the time then you don’t need to let the milk rest but can use straightaway.
- Lumpy Sauce: If your white sauce seems lumpy before adding the cheese then whisk vigorously on a low heat. If you still can’t get rid of the lumps of flour then try sieving in a fine mesh sieve. Finally if that still hasn’t done the trick then slowly pour in 50ml of cold whole milk whisking it in firmly. This should sort it out.
- Cheese Choice: Gruyere is not your only option for this cheese sauce. You can use fontina, mature cheddar, a mixture of cheddar and parmesan or a bit of blue cheese.
- Make Ahead: You can make this cheese sauce at least 3 days ahead of when you need it. Store in the fridge.
- Serving Suggestions: Use this sauce in mac n’cheese, lasagna, fish pie or cauliflower cheese.
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 203mg | Potassium: 135mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 515IU | Calcium: 274mg