Braised Red Cabbage
Braised Red Cabbage is a wonderfully sweet tangy and spiced side dish for your winter gathering. It tastes wonderful alongside a roast turkey but equally well with rib of beef, game or even a nut roast.
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small red cabbage about 700g, shredded thinly
- 1 red onion halved and sliced thinly
- 2 dessert apples grated
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 whole star anise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 100 ml red wine
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soft light brown sugar
- 75 g pomegranate seeds
Melt the butter in a large saucepan then add the shredded red cabbage and coat thoroughly.
Add the red onion, apples, ground allspice, star anise and seasoning and mix it all together. Place a lid on and cook on a low heat for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage is soft.
Pour in the red wine, balsamic vinegar and sugar and stir together until completely combined. Place the lid back on and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes until the liquid has reduced by a third.
Serve scattered with pomegranate seeds.
- ACCOMPANIMENTS - Braised Red Cabbage is equally excellent with Rib of Beef, Roast Turkey or even a Nut Roast.
- VEGAN – Swap the butter for olive oil.
- BALSAMIC VINEGAR – You can swap for apple cider vinegar to give a much sharper flavour.
- SUGAR-FREE – Swap the brown sugar for honey or maple syrup. Or just leave it out – the end result will have a mellow tang rather than a more even balance of sweet/sour.
- FREEZING - Make a couple of weeks ahead of time and stash in the freezer. Braised Red Cabbage defrosts and re-heats particularly well.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 240mg | Potassium: 509mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 1652IU | Vitamin C: 85mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 2mg