Coronation Chicken Wild Rice Salad
This Coronation Chicken Wild Rice Salad is a light fresh and modern take on a classic recipe.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 8 people
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- seeds from 3 cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 300 ml natural yoghurt
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 225 g wholegrain basmati and wild rice mix cooked according to packet instructions, then cooled
- 8 dried apricots finely chopped
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 red chilli seeds removed and finely sliced
- two large handfuls of mixed baby leaves
- large handful of coriander leaves
- 50 g flaked almonds toasted
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds black or white
Pre-heat the oven to 190°C
First make the curry paste by grinding together the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and cardamom seeds until fine using a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar. Tip into a large bowl and add the turmeric, ginger, garlic powder, salt and mix well. Remove 1 tablespoon of the spices and set aside in a small bowl for later.
Stir the coconut oil into the rest of the spice mix until a thick paste has been formed.
Rub the paste all over the chicken thighs until they are evenly covered. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and scatter over the sesame seeds, place back into the oven, turn the heat up to 220°C and roast for a further 15 minutes. Remove and leave the chicken until cool enough to handle then shred the meat and crisp skin from the bones. Place in a bowl whilst you prepare the dressing.
To make the dressing whisk together the mayonnaise, yoghurt, lime juice and almond butter with the reserved tablespoon of the spice mix.
Mix the chicken, the cooked rice, the chopped apricots, spring onions and chilli in with dressing until completely covered.
Toss the baby leaves and coriander leaves together in a large bowl then add in the coronation chicken, mixing lightly so the leaves don’t get too heavy with the dressing.
To serve, scatter over the flaked almonds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds.
Calories: 573kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 436mg | Potassium: 703mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 535IU | Vitamin C: 9.8mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 3.9mg