Leftover Porridge Cake
This Leftover Porridge Cake recipe is ideal if you are stuck with a saucepan full of cooked oatmeal. It is a delicious and healthy cake for snacking, warm with spices and bursting with fruity blueberries. It even makes a great dessert served warm with ice cream. Plus it is gluten-free and refined sugar-free with a dairy-free option.
Servings: 8 people
- 300 g leftover porridge cooled
- 60 g unsalted butter melted then cooled
- 80 ml honey
- 3 eggs medium
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 g blueberries
Preheat oven to 180°C /160°C fan assisted oven / gas mark 4.
Line and grease a 6 inch round baking tin.
Place the leftover porridge, melted butter, honey, eggs and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat until combined.
Whisk together the ground almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and beat to combine.
Stir through the blueberries.
Pour the cake mixture into the prepared baking tin and place in the centre of the oven. Bake for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven and remove the cake from the tin to cool on a wire rack.
- Butter – you can switch for coconut oil if you would like a dairy-free version.
- Honey – you can swap for maple syrup.
- Ground almonds – you can swap for Gluten-Free Plain White Flour or even regular All Purpose Flour
- Blueberries – swap for raspberries, sultanas or a handful of mixed dried fruit.
- Wait until your porridge has completely cooled before beginning making the cake. You could even leave it in the fridge overnight and make it the next day.
- If your porridge is already flavoured with cinnamon or vanilla then just reduce the quantities of the flavourings slightly so it doesn’t get overpowering.
- Stir the blueberries through gently so they don’t break up in the cake mixture.
- Allow the cake to rest for 5 minutes before removing from the cake tin.
How to store this cake
This cake keeps well stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Take out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving to bring up to room temperature.
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 287IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 2mg