A superb Gluten-Free Frangipane is exactly the kind of recipe you need to have in your back pocket. Made from ground almonds this delicious pastry cream can be used to top simple fruit tarts or mince pies. It can also be made into a deliciously simple Frangipane tart baked into a pastry crust and sprinkled with flaked almonds.
Servings: 12 people
- 150 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 2 eggs medium, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon rum*
Beat the butter until soft.
Add the sugar and ground almonds and beat again until mixed in.
Add eggs in a gentle stream with the mixer running. Scrape down the sides and mix in well.
Add in the sweet rice flour and continue mixing until evenly combined.
Finally beat in the rum (or alternative flavouring of your choice).
Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest before using.
- Yield: 500g frangipane
- This recipe makes enough for one large tart or several mini tarts.
- You can substitute the rum for 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Frangipane freezes very well. Do defrost thoroughly before using.
- You can prepare the frangipane up to 3 days in advance. It sets quite firm in the fridge though so remove it about an hour before you want to use it if it’s too firm.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 13mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 352IU | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg