Bubble and Squeak
Bubble and Squeak is the perfect way to use up leftover potatoes and veggies and is completely customisable to whatever you have to hand. It makes a fantastic midweek meal or goes brilliantly with a traditional Full English Breakfast.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 teaspoons ghee or unsalted butter
- 150 g streaky bacon smoked or unsmoked, diced
- 1 leek sliced into circles
- 200 g shredded cabbage about ½ head
- 250 g leftover roast potatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ lemon juiced
Melt the butter or ghee in a wide bottomed saucepan.
Add the leeks to one half of the pan and the bacon to the other. Fry gently until the bacon is just starting to crisp and the leeks just beginning to caramelise.
Add the shredded cabbage, diced potatoes and ground turmeric and fry for 5-10 minutes until the cabbage has wilted and the potatoes crisped.
Mix in the lemon juice just before removing the Bubble and Squeak from the pan and serving.
- Serving suggestion: poached eggs, yoghurt, parsley, black pepper.
- This recipe is completely customisable to whatever you have in your fridge that needs using up. The ingredients and quantities can be used as a jumping off point.
- The quantities given here are for 4 people as a side – to accompany your Full English Breakfast, for example. It serves 2 as a main dish but do add the poached eggs.
- I have not included any seasoning guidance here. The bacon is salty as it is and the roast potatoes are already well-seasoned. So add salt at your discretion.
- I like to use ghee because of the high melting point. You get a lovely buttery taste without worry that the butter will burn. If you can’t get hold of ghee then butter or olive oil will suffice.
- If you don’t have a leek then an onion will do.
- What kind of cabbage is of your choosing – white cabbage, savoy, pointed cabbage, spring cabbage or even kale.
- If you have a large skillet then cook the bacon and leeks together in separate halves. The reason is that if they are muddled up the bacon won’t crisp as well.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 489mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 434IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 3mg