Apple Ginger Chutney
A sweet spicy chutney ideal if you have a glut of apples. Spiced with stem ginger and perfect with cheese
For the spice bag:
- 50 g root ginger
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1.5 kg Bramley apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1.5 kg Cox Pippin apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 kg white onions diced
- 4 balls stem ginger about 80g, finely chopped
- 500 g soft light brown sugar
- 600 g cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon chipotle chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
Place the spice bag ingredients into a muslin bag and then put into a large preserving pan with the rest of the ingredients.
Bring slowly to the boil, then simmer for 2.5 hours.
Remove the spice bag then decant the chutney into sterilised jars.
Keep in a cool dark place for 2-3 months before eating.
Serving: 25g | Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 0.2g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.02g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.02g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 51mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.1mg