Simple Brown Rice Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette
This Simple Brown Rice Salad with pesto vinaigrette is an easy recipe for any August barbecue, potluck, picnic or informal gathering.
Servings: 4 or several people as part of a buffet table
- 175 g brown rice
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- ½ cucumber de-seeded, diced
- 150 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 40 g flaked almonds toasted
- 2 large handfuls parsley finely chopped
- 1 medium handful dill finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- juice of ½ small lemon
- 4 tablespoons pesto (any kind, homemade or shop bought – whatever you have in your fridge)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Cook the brown rice according to the packet instructions then leave to cool.
Meanwhile mix all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl and add to the rice once cool.
To make the vinaigrette, whisk the Dijon and lemon along with some salt and pepper in a small bowl until thickened.
Whisk in the pesto then drizzle in the olive oil whisking all the time until the dressing has come together.
Pour over the rice salad, mixing in well.
Store the salad in the fridge until needed.
Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 422mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 635IU | Vitamin C: 73.4mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1.9mg