Easy Mincemeat Recipe
This Easy Mincemeat Recipe is a quick homemade supremely spiced fruity boozy mincemeat essential for mince pies.
Servings: 64 servings
- 400 g bramley apples about 1-2 apples
- 225 g seedless raisins
- 225 g currants
- 225 g sultanas
- 240 g beef suet for gluten-free suet see notes
- 275 g dark muscovado sugar
- 50 g mixed peel homemade is preferable
- zest 1 orange
- zest 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 60 ml brandy
Peel, core and dice the bramley apples into small pieces.
Place the apple pieces into a large ovenproof pot with the rest of the ingredients (except for the brandy) and stir together until everything is well combined.
If you want to make mince pies straight away then set aside about 300g and stir in a couple of teaspoons of the brandy. Let the mincemeat rest whilst you prepare the pastry and then you can fill your pies immediately.
To prepare the rest of the mincemeat for storing put a lid on the pot and place in an oven pre-heated to 150°C /130°C fan/gas 2 for 1 hour.
Leave the mincemeat to completely cool before stirring in the brandy.
Decant the mincemeat into sterilised jars and store in a cool dark place for up to a year.
- If you are gluten-free I recommend you use fresh beef suet. It’s not possible to buy gluten-free pre-packaged beef suet. I don't recommend the vegetarian version which is gluten-free. Do speak to your local butcher about obtaining fresh suet. It will come in a solid block which you will need to grate with a bit of gluten-free flour so that it can evenly disperse throughout the mincemeat. If you are vegan then I would recommend replacing with grated coconut butter but if you are not then I would urge you not to make the switch.
- Yield 4 380g jars
- You can make your mince pies straightaway using this mincemeat but if you are not then you will need to cook it and store in sterilised jars.
- To sterilise the jars – Place the very clean jars you would like to use in an oven pre-heated to 140°C for 20 minutes. Sterilise the lids by dropping them into a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes. It is best not to sterilise lids in the oven as they can easily ruin.
- The mincemeat will keep for 3 months in a cool and dark place.
Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 100mg | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.3mg