Gluten-Free Victoria Sponge
The Victoria Sponge is the quintessential British cake suitable for any occasion. Fluffy vanilla sponge, generously filled with raspberry jam and buttercream.
Servings: 10 people
- 240 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 240 g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 120 g gluten-free flour see notes below
- 120 g almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 175 g raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar for sprinkling at the end
- 200 g icing sugar
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan assisted/gas mark 3 and line and grease 2 x round 8 inch x 4 inch cake tins.
Cream the butter and sugar on a high speed in a food mixer for about 5 minutes until very light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix until completely incorporated, then add the vanilla extract.
Sieve the gluten-free flour with the almond flour, baking powder and salt in separate mixing bowl, then add into the food mixer. Beating until well combined.
Stir in the milk to lighten the batter then divide the batter equally between the two cake tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to settle for 5 minutes in their tins, then turn out onto cooling racks and leave to cool completely before assembly.
Beat the icing sugar with the unsalted butter for up to 10 minutes until very light and fluffy.
Add the whole milk, vanilla extract and salt and beat until combined.
Take one of your sponges and slather the raspberry jam very evenly over the surface, spreading to the edge.
For an even layer of buttercream, fill a piping bag with the buttercream fitted with a large plain round piping tip. Pipe concentric circles over the top of the jam then use a small palette knife to gently even it out.
Place the second sponge carefully on the top of the buttercream and sprinkle the caster sugar evenly over the surface.
- I used Doves Farm Gluten-Free Plain White Flour which doesn’t contain any xanthan gum. However if your blend does contain xanthan gum then that will work fine too.
- Ground almonds are a good substitute if you can’t get hold of almond flour.
- Use the best quality jam you can find. I recommend Bonne Maman for the best supermarket option.
- The finished cake keeps well in a cool dark place, out of the refrigerator, for up to four days.
Calories: 686kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 160mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 55g | Vitamin A: 1195IU | Vitamin C: 1.6mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1.5mg