Victorian Meat Mincemeat
For the best mince pies this Christmas try this Victorian Mincemeat which is made with real beef and accept no substitute.
- 1 bramley apple peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cox apple peeled, cored and diced
- 200 g beef suet get your suet from the butcher if you need it gluten-free*
- 200 g raw beef mince organic, free-range, grass fed if possible
- 275 g raisins
- 225 g currants
- 100 g natural glace cherries diced
- 100 g pitted prunes diced
- 300 g dark brown sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- grated zest and juice of ½ red grapefruit
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 50 g whole almonds slivered
- 4 teaspoons mixed ground spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 100 ml brandy
Do persevere with different butchers if you are finding fresh suet hard to get hold of. All of my butchers in the high street couldn't get hold of suet for me and in the end I had success with going direct to the farm. To prepare the suet I grated it in the food processor using the grater attachment with scant amounts of rice flour to allow the suet to separate nicely. Sinewy bits will get entangled in the blades, just stop the processor, throw these bits away and carry on going. I store my suet in 200g bags in the freezer for easy use.
Mincemeat must be cooked
Since the mincemeat contains raw beef mince the mincemeat should be cooked into a mince pie before eating.
How to use the mincemeat
Use your favourite mince pie recipe, you will not need to alter the cooking times.
Make sure to inform whomever you are serving your mince pies to that it contains real beef. Vegans and vegetarians may choose to decline.
Please note that the nutrition information provided below is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients you use. Please seek a professional nutritionist’s advice for further clarification.
The nutrition serving is for 1 portion of mincemeat which is normally used in a mince pie (not the whole mince pie). This assumes you will this mincemeat provides 90 portions.
Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 13IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg