Gluten-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Gluten-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are fluffy and delicious. Made with wholegrain sorghum flour and almond flour they are quick and easy to pull together and just as easy to devour in moments. Stuffed with dark chocolate chips and hazelnuts for ultimate satisfaction.
Servings: 10 muffins
- 250 g mashed bananas about 3 large bananas
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 ml light olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 120 g sorghum flour
- 120 g almond flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 125 g dark chocolate chips
- 65 g hazelnuts roughly chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
Pour the mashed bananas, sugars, olive oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat together until smooth.
Add in the sorghum flour, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, chocolate chips and hazelnuts and mix together until thoroughly combined.
Divide the batter into 10 muffin cases and bake in the oven for 25-28 minutes.
Remove the muffins from the oven and immediately transfer to a cooling rack.
- I used 70% dark chocolate chips.
- I used brown bananas but it’s not totally necessary. Over-ripened bananas will be easier to mash and give more sweetness. More yellow bananas will mean you have little lumps of banana in your muffins and won’t be as sweet. I think it’s baker’s choice.
- Use a light flavourless olive oil. You can certainly substitute for melted coconut oil or even melted unsalted butter.
- I use medium eggs in my baked goods.
- You can substitute the sorghum flour for oat flour if it’s hard to find.
- Of course you can omit the chocolate chips or the hazelnuts or the cinnamon.
- Use an ice cream scoop for scooping the batter out into the muffin cases. 2 scoops per muffin.
- Reserve some of the chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts to sprinkle over the top of the muffins just before they go into the oven so it looks like they are bursting through when they are baked.
- Do remove the muffins from the tin as soon as they are out of the oven. Prolonged heat from the tin can cause excess moisture and the muffins to pull away from their cases.
- Try these muffins warm with a smear of salted butter.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 397mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 64IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 2mg