Sticky Date Cake with Black Treacle Icing
This Sticky Date Cake is gluten-free and made with toffee-like medjool dates which boast incredible flavour. It’s adorned with a simple buttercream, deepened with the molasses flavour of black treacle. The ultimate tea-time treat.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Servings: 9 people
- 275 ml just boiled water
- 1 black teabag
- 200 g medjool dates stoned and diced
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 180 g dark soft brown sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 egg
- 140 g teff flour
- 140 g almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Black Treacle Buttercream
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 180 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan assisted/ gas mark 4 and line and grease an 8 inch square baking tin.
Place the teabag into a large bowl and pour in the just boiled water. Brew for 3 minutes.
Remove the teabag and pour in the diced dates. Set aside for 10 minutes while you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Beat the sugar and butter together until the sugar has turned creamy.
Pour in the egg and dates and mix until completely combined.
Whisk the flours together with the baking powder and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the rest of the ingredients and mix together well.
Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake for 50 minutes.
Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack before icing.
Black Treacle Buttercream
Beat the butter and icing sugar together for 6-8 minutes until incredibly light and creamy.
Add in the black treacle and mix in until completely incorporated.
Spread the buttercream over the top of the cooled cake and cut into 9 squares.
- Medjool Dates are a must for this cake and can’t really be substituted for regular dates. Dice the dates up small for even distribution throughout the cake.
- Tea – use a good quality black teabag. Don’t brew for longer than 3-5 minutes or the tea will taste ‘stewed.’
- Butter – use unsalted and make sure it’s room temperature before creaming with the sugar.
- Teff Flour and Almond Flour – sift well with the salt and baking powder so they mix evenly throughout the cake.
- Check the cake is baked by inserting a cocktail stick or skewer into the middle of the cake. It should come out dry with no sticky crumbs.
- Store – keep the cake in a cool airtight tin for up to 3 days.
- Freezing – this cake freezes well, iced or un-iced.
Calories: 593kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 272mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 56g | Vitamin A: 823IU | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 3mg