Apple and Stem Ginger Chutney
A sweet spicy chutney perfect with cheese
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 12 200ml jars
For the spice bag:
- 50 g root ginger
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1.5 kg Bramley apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1.5 kg Cox Pippin apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 kg white onions diced
- 4 balls stem ginger about 80g, finely chopped
- 500 g soft light brown sugar
- 600 ml cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon chipotle chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
Place the spice bag ingredients into a muslin bag and then put into a large preserving pan with the rest of the ingredients.
Bring slowly to the boil, then simmer for 2.5 hours.
Remove the spice bag then decant the chutney into sterilised jars.
Keep in a cool dark place for 2-3 months before eating.
Serving: 25g | Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 508mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 72g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 17.9mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1mg