Gluten-Free Coffee and Walnut Cake
A beautifully simple gluten-free Coffee and Walnut Cake made with teff flour and walnut flour.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Servings: 10 people
- 200 g soft light brown sugar
- 200 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 eggs medium
- 125 g teff flour
- 100 g walnuts plus extra to decorate
- 50 g tapioca flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 300 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 300 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Pre-heat the oven to 180/ 160 fan and line and grease 2 x 20cm round cake tins.
Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time until combined.
Place the walnuts in the food processor and grind them until they form fine crumbles.
Pour the ground walnuts into a large bowl then whisk to mix with the teff flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, salt and coffee powder.
Add the flour mix to the batter and mix until completely combined.
Divide the batter between the cake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave the cake layers to cool completely before icing.
Beat the butter together with the icing sugar and mix until incredibly light and fluffy.
Mix in the espresso powder and salt.
To assemble, divide the icing between the middle and the top of the cake and decorate with walnut halves.
- WALNUTS: If your walnuts start to turn to butter in the corners of the food processor then you have taken them too far.
- The instant coffee powder I use is Nescafe Azera.
- This cake will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Calories: 710kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Cholesterol: 173mg | Sodium: 128mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 49g | Vitamin A: 1345IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 1.9mg