These Pancetta, Onion and Gruyère Tartlets are loaded with cheese, caramelised onions and large chunks of smoked pancetta.
*For the Gluten-Free Pastry
80 g rice flour
25 g oat flour
45 g buckwheat flour
30 g cornflour
15 g tapioca starch
15 g ground chia seeds
½ teaspoon sea salt
115 g cold unsalted butter cut into very thin slices
1 egg medium, lightly beaten
2-4 tablespoons iced water
2 tablespoons gluten-free flour for rolling out
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, chia seeds and salt.
- Rub the butter into the flour in between your fingertips so it resembles very rough breadcrumbs then stir in the beaten egg with a fork.
- Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time and start to bring the dough together with a pastry scraper. It should start to form quite quickly.
- Tip the dough onto the work surface and quickly bring the ball into a round ball with your hands. You don’t really need to work the pastry as there’s no gluten to activate. The pastry should still be a little sticky.
- Wrap the pastry ball in greaseproof paper and flatten it slightly.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest. Then continue as per the rest of the recipe above.
gluten-free pastry adapted from Alanna Taylor-Tobin's Alternative Baker