Gluten-Free Cherry Cake
This Gluten-Free Cherry Cake is a simple summer bake. Fluffy and tender with a sugary crust and packed with fruity glacé cherries. It’s ideal for taking on picnics or sitting resplendent on the stall of your local school fete.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
Total Time1 hr 25 mins
Servings: 10 slices
- 275 g glacé cherries*
- 125 g white rice flour
- 70 g millet flour
- 30 g tapioca flour
- 120 g ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 225 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 225 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Pre-heat oven to 170°C fan assisted oven or 180°C in a regular oven*.
Grease and line an 8 inch x 4 inch round cake tin.
Chop the cherries roughly, so some are halved and some quartered, then pour into a medium sized bowl, leave for a minute.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flours, almonds, baking powder and salt.
Take out a tablespoon of the dry mixture and stir into the cherries until all the cherries are well coated then set aside
Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after every addition.
Pour in half the flour and mix in well, scraping down the sides. Mix in the zest and juice of the lemon then add the other half of the flour.
Stir in the cherries until evenly dispersed then pour into the cake tin.
Bake for about 70 minutes or until an inserted cocktail skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out carefully and sprinkle the two teaspoons of granulated sugar over the top of the cake.
- If you want to make homemade glacé cherries then get the recipe here.
- I’m baking more and more of my cakes in a fan assisted oven. Gluten-Free flours can retain more moisture so I find that by keeping the air circulating in the oven during the bake it lightens the cake a little. By all means if you don’t have a fan-assisted oven then just raise the temperature by 10 degrees and your cake will turn out just fine.
- Gluten-Free Cherry Cake freezes extremely well. Bake and cool completely then wrap up well before freezing.
- If you can't get hold of some of these flours then you can use a gluten-free flour such as Doves Farm Plain Gluten-Free Flour. Substitute the white rice flour, millet flour and tapioca flour for 225g gluten-free flour.
Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 86mg | Potassium: 89mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 5.7mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1.2mg