Coconut Matcha Macaroons
Coconut Matcha Macaroons are easy to make, completely flourless and just 6 ingredients. Dipped and drizzled with dark chocolate.
Servings: 9 cookies
- 2 egg whites 60g
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 150 g dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan assisted/gas mark 3 and line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
Beat the egg whites until firm in the spotlessly clean bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric mixer.
Add the sugar to the egg whites and whisk until glossy and stiff.
Fold in the coconut and matcha powder and mix well.
Scoop the mixture using an ice cream scoop into 9 balls and drop on to the lined baking sheet.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Remove the cookies from the oven and place the cookies on a rack to cool. Reserve the lined baking sheet for later.
Melt the chocolate with the salt in a bain marie or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
Dip the flat bottom of each cookie into the chocolate and set upside down on the lined baking sheet. Reserve some chocolate for the drizzle. Leave the cookies until the chocolate has set.
Re-melt the rest of the chocolate then pour into a small piping bag. Turn the cookies the right way up and drizzle the chocolate over in zig zags. Leave to set before eating.
General Recipe Notes
- The amount of matcha powder you add will depend on the brand but I find 1 tablespoon is just enough so the matcha flavour comes through but isn’t overpowering.
- For the chocolate drizzle either use a small piping bag or pour the chocolate into a small plastic freezer bag and snip off the tip to create a makeshift piping bag.
- The cookies can keep for up to 3 days in Tupperware or a sealed container, but they are best the day they are made.
- Unless stated I always use medium eggs, unsalted butter and kosher salt.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 189mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 2.7mg