It was an exciting moment this week when I found the first of the British strawberries in the supermarket. I love their newly prolonged season, especially since I never get bored of a strawberry. As Spring moves into Summer the taste of the strawberries evolve meaning you get a little bit of something different as the seasons progress.
These strawberries I took home this week were sweet and juicy. It was excellent forward thinking on my part that I had picked up a couple of punnets as the first one was unashamedly eaten during the prepping stages of baking this cake.
I couldn’t help but pair this cake with honey, I have been collecting local honey from all the little farm shops and farmer’s markets I have been visiting these past few months so I have quite the larder full. I chose a light clear floral honey for the cake and baked it into the batter along with some sour cream to add density and offset the sweetness. I then topped the cake in the same way, a simple buttercream which I then imbued with more of the honey and sour cream.
It was a perfect teatime treat, eaten out in the garden with the distant sound of a lawnmower buzzing in the background. Although it did lead me to contemplate what a sorry state my garden is actually in at the moment and fret over the grassless lawn and ghostly pots of long gone plants so it wasn’t the perfect idyll.
I regret not drizzling my finished cake with honey as well before I took the photos, the idea only came to me as I was tucking into the cake afterwards. The extra drizzle really lifted the strawberries and accentuated the honey so make sure you don’t forget it like me.
Strawberry Honey Cake
170g unsalted butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
270g plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
200g sour cream
150g strawberries, hulled and chopped into quarters
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and line and grease a 9 inch loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for a few minutes until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time until fully combined.
- Pour in the honey and mix well, then the vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add 1/3 of the flour to the rest of the cake batter, mixing well. Then follow with half the sour cream, mix it in then another 1/3 of the flour, the rest of the sour cream then the last third of the flour. Mix until the batter has just combined.
- Pour nearly all of the cake batter into the baking tin.
- Puncture the batter with the chopped strawberries in a single layer before spreading on the very last of the cake batter to cover the strawberries.
- Place in the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes.
For the honey icing:
100g unsalted butter
165g icing sugar
50g sour cream
pinch of salt
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the honey, sour cream and a pinch of salt and mix until completely combined.
Decorate the iced cake with strawberries and drizzled honey.