The recipe has been adapted from blondiescakesblogspot.com and I encourage you to try it before the bouncing peaches leave your local greengrocer as it will make up for the lack of our Indian summer this year.
Vanilla Bourbon Peach Jam
Makes 8 x 250ml jars
2 kilos peaches (9 large peaches)
75ml lime juice (or juice of 4 limes)
1 vanilla pod, split in half with seeds scraped out
1 tsp almond extract
1 x 250ml bottle of Certo liquid pectin
- Peel the peaches, remove the stone and cut into smallish chunks.
- Put the peaches in a preserving pan with the sugar and lime juice.
- Smash the 3 ingredients together with a masher until thick and pulpy.
- Add the vanilla seeds and the pod itself. Put the pan on a medium heat and bring to a rolling boil stirring constantly. Stir for 3-4 mins then remove from the heat.
- Add the almond extract, the bourbon and liquid pectin. Stir together.
- Place back on heat for 2 mins just to meld the flavours together. The consistency should be nice and thick.
- Remove from heat and pour into sterilised jars. Leave to cool then either eat straightaway like me or save for a cold and blustery morning to cheer you up.